Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Five Roses Cookbook "Chocolate Chip Cookies" recipe

Bonjour!

Today I have decided to post one of my favorite recipes-EVER! When I first left for school out of town to start my post-secondary education right after graduating from high school, my Grandmother gave me this "Five Roses A Guide to Good Cooking" recipe book. As a Grandmother she wanted to make sure I would eat well (what Grandmother doesn't!) and this way she knew I would have all the info I needed right at my fingertips. Here is an actual photo of the book she gave me.




At first I thought "Oh how cute of her". But when I actually opened the book and began reading up on recipes I thought WOW this book is actually very useful/informative. I then decided to try some recipes and fell in love with quite a few of them. A lot of you might have this cookbook yourselves, but if you do not, I would love to share with you the recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I know chocolate chip cookies are a basic recipe and nothing out of the ordinary, but these are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever made (by following this recipe.)

Instructions (directly from the book):
You will need:
- 250mL or 1 cup of flour                              -150mL or 2/3 cup of brown sugar
- 2mL or 1/2 tsp. of salt                                - 1 egg

- 2mL or 1/2 tsp. of  baking soda                   - 2mL or 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- 125 mL or 1/2 cup of butter or margarine     - 125mL or 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
* optional to add 125mL or 1/2 cup of chopped nuts

Preheat oven. Combine dry ingredients together and set aside. Cream butter; gradually add brown sugar and beat until creamy. Add egg and vanilla. Blend in dry ingredients gradually. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheets. Bake in moderate oven. Cool slightly before removing from sheets. Cool on racks.

Temperature: 190°C (375°F)
Cooking time: 8 to 10 minutes
Yield: 3½ dozen- 5cm (2") cookies

Here are some photos I took:




*Note: my portions of the cookie drops are a bit larger than suggested,
this is just a personal preference.


If you try to make these let me know, would love to hear how they turned out! Do you use the Five Roses cookbook? If so, comment and let me know one of your favorite recipes! Would love it if you followed on Bloglovin.

Peace and love,
Chantal Xx














1 comment:

  1. This recipe is what I remember from my mom's beat up old book. of course I made it and it turned out awesome. I tried the recipe on the 5 roses website and they turned out like crap. I knew there was too much sugar and too much baking soda. I have book marked your site for the next time!

    ReplyDelete